Thursday, February 18, 2010

THUD!!

As it stands right now I will not make an attempt to vault at Kamloops because my arm is actually worse, not better. Maybe Boston but that is a 50/50. Today I easily made all three of my jumps at 10' (3.05m), 10' 6" (3.20m) and 11' (3.35m) on a small 4m (13' 1") pole from a 33' (10m) run. Felt nothing one jump one, something on jump two and MORE on jump three. I can't expect to be able to jump on a pole 30 lbs stiffer in two weeks. If I stop now I will have three weeks of complete rest by the time I return from "vacation".

I have been in the physical therapy business for 23 years and last year learned that a groin muscle cannot be rehabbed because a simple little "click" sets you back two weeks. I've just learned the bicep is the same way. I've been screwing around with this since January 2, and it's getting worse not better. It needs total rest and not rehab. Even bone heals in 8-10 weeks yet I've managed to turn a simple muscle strain into an injury. I've had it before and it went away but I rested it. Big mistake to rehab when only rest will work. Now I know.

USA Track & Field Indoor Nationals in Boston is five weeks from Saturday. With three+ weeks off completely I might be able to jump there and be OK. I'll play that by ear but right now in my mind my first meet is near the end of May. I had no off season after Sydney and I have a lot of running I want to do to get to some longer runs and bigger poles in time for the summer.

I can't feel too bad. Sure, I'm extremely disappointed but I won the World Masters Games in Sydney, Australia in October, and then less than two months later got my first of three indoor PRs (Personal Records). Time to get to the next level. Thanks for the support. Bubba

PS - to clarify one point, rehab works great; you just can't put yourself under full body weight swinging on bars or poles until it's well. On a lift you can stop or reduce the resistance. But once your bodyweight is swinging you can't protect from re-injury.

Closing thought - My goal for outdoors is to be able to start at 12' 6" or 13', make 13' 6" as often as I make 13', and get to attempt and make 14'. This requires a longer run and higher grip. Both I could do today f my arm was well. During all of this time I have run a ton so at least I never lost that progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment