Saturday, February 20, 2010

Looking Forward

Right now I would say I'm 60% for competing in Boston at the end of March. Along the way these past three weeks I could tell I was getting significantly better but then bars or vaulting would set back the progress on my bicep. At that time a group decision was made to aggressively rehab the injury and we found that won't work. Three weeks of total rest should make a huge difference and I have five weeks until Nationals.

Of course I am running and lifting like crazy but nothing directly involving my arm. This is probably the most optimistic and certain I have felt about my prospects for getting well relatively soon. Why will this time be different? If you remember, last year after outdoor nationals in Oshkosh I made the same mistake with a groin muscle. That kept me out of the National Senior Games. At that time I did exactly what I'm doing now, rested it totally for three weeks and was able to bounce back quickly.

I plan to drive up to Kris' place Friday and pick up all of my poles, including the new 14' 7"s (4.45m). Every now and then I strip off the tape and remeasure the grips etc. It's good vault related task I can do during the time I can't vault. Looking forward to the tedious process.

The plan for Kamloops is to dress out in my USA uniform, declare (sign in) to compete and go down on the field and help my friends. I'll pass until 4m (13' 1 1/2") so I can stay down there for awhile. Should be a great meet. Just because I can't jump doesn't mean I can't volunteer to help my buddies. Looking forward to it.

I'm going back to a Sunday/Thursday vault day configuration and shift my lifting/running. I'll have three full three day rotations before I leave for Kamloops a week from Tuesday. Then I'll have 10 days off, come back and see if I can ramp up to being able to jump at Boston. Though 60/40 today, I think those chances will improve with the three weeks off of direct agitation to the muscle. If not then I'll go into a hardcore six week bootcamp type training to get ready for my first big outdoor meet near the end of May. Of course I'll be seeing Dr. Cloutier this week to lay out his ideas about completing this rehab and avoiding future injuries.

That's the game plan for now and it feels pretty good. Hope you all have a great weekend and thanks for being here for me. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment