Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thursday's Follow Up

I got a great email from my friend Eric Negley from the Atlanta area wanting to make sure that I was OK. He noticed that my post today was pretty short and to the point and lacked the regular spirit I usually have. I was appreciative yet surprised to get the email because Eric hit it right on the head. I'm worried and I'll be better off if I admit it.

As much as I feel I will be OK for Kamloops I also thought I would be OK for Reno; I wasn't. After outdoor nationals at Oshkosh I thought I would be ready in four weeks for the National Senior Games at Stanford University; I wasn't. So on two cases before BIG competitions I guessed horribly wrong about recovering from seemingly small injuries. Wouldn't you be worried? I guess I've learned that somethings you can rehab and some things you just have to leave alone. This biceps thing falls between the two.

For those of you that don't know I have been a businessman in healthcare for the past 23 years. I partner physicians and physical therapists in profitable situations around the US and manage the business part. My point is that I have ample access to the expertise I need but don't always use it as often as I should.

As you know, we vaulters have very strange injuries and dings and so we have become our own resource. With all of this said, my training partner, Don Curry made a statement this week that sounds stupid but I totally got it and he was exactly right. He said, "you're doing your rehab but you're not letting it heal". He went on to list the things I was doing that were promoting healing (certain lifts and therapy) and then listed the things that slow the progress by constantly pulling the healing fibers apart (vaulting, bars, explosive lifts). From these enlightenments I came up with a plan that I think puts me in a great position to rapidly improve. Since my first gym day went well I feel good about it.

So Eric, thanks for slapping me back to reality and Don, thanks for being the great friend you have been for almost 45 years. I knew there was a reason I post this stuff. Have a great night! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment