Sunday, February 21, 2010

Boston 80%

The more I know the less I know. I mentioned recently that I finished my 14 week running program - http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/speed.htm Today I started it over, this time with a sled. You also remember that I have this odd little catch in my right hamstring but it doesn't bother me to vault. Guess what? It doesn't bother me with the sled either and I can easily run 90%+. What an awesome discovery. I'll still continue with Dr. Clouthier to resolve the issue but at least I can get in some real high quality running.

Another strange finding - my arm didn't hurt today. Funny how fast it heals when you leave it alone. I didn't really think about it except when I almost went over to jump up on the high bar and take a few swings. I remembered my promise to myself that I would do nothing direct for three weeks. That said, I noticed as I carried the sled out of our shed and tossed it down at my start point that I had just carried/thrown it with my right hand and felt nothing in my arm. When I walk back to my start point I grab the rope and sling the sled past me to take out the slack so that when I turn around I can run. Again, I slung the sled with my right hand and felt nothing in my arm. WOW - what a day for REAL optimism!! Of course I can't risk Kamloops but I was tempted to call Kris and tell him to ship my poles just in case. Unfortunately I know that would be a huge mistake if I ever want to get it well so I resisted the urge.

Don't get me wrong, Kamloops is a huge event to miss and I'm very disappointed but I need to get well. Had I not competed well in Australia just four months ago, and had three indoor PRs this year already, it would be a lot tougher to accept.

This is kind of where I was when I went to Stanford for the National Senior Games - well enough to jump but not jumping good enough to compete without risking further injury and delay. At least I can come back and feel like I'm ready to go, and I'll have three weeks left to Boston. So that will be four weeks of no jumping or bars, followed by two weeks of ramp up jumping. Right now I'm 95% sure that plan will work. So why is the title "Boston 80%"? Because the more I know the less I know. But I DO know that today felt GREAT and I have the HOPE that I can be an athlete again. All the best and have a great day! Bubba

2 comments:

  1. Days like these you just think to yourself "imagine what I could do with an injury free body..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my website - "my orthopedic surgeon told me that training at the elite level is like walking on a balance beam - if you fall off one side you get hurt, and if you fall off the other you're not progressing. The older you get, the more narrow that beam becomes. At dinner after Drake Toby Stevenson said, "Yeah, and it's a longer fall and climb back up too!" AMEN!!

    ReplyDelete