Monday, February 8, 2010

Reason for Optimism - I Think

Don always says that right after an injury you feel like you will never walk again, much less jump. Improvement is so slow and minuscule and then suddenly it turns around where you make more progress in three days than in the past 7-10. I feel like I'm gaining momentum all of the sudden and I certainly don't mind the good news. Bars were easy and I was able to also do some light hang cleans. Lat pulls are a little touchy still but I just drop the weight way down. You know the rule -BE CAREFUL!! I see the doctor tomorrow for an hour at 10 so I'm really looking forward to that.

I was thinking about when was the last time I ever warmed up for a meet and stopped before the competition began, like I did in Reno? I've done it once - Reno 1996. I then thought when was I injured during a meet. Once - I strained a hamstring after I won at national indoors last year. When did I stop at a meet as a precaution? Once, Oshkosh last year at outdoor nationals after I had gotten 3rd. So as much as I seem to get dinged, I've only been hurt in a meet, dropped out during the meet, or withdrawn after warm up, one time each in my career. I have also only failed to clear my opening height (nh) once, in 1973 at our conference meet. I bring this up because just as Don says an injury makes you feel like you will never walk again, my meets almost always go pretty smooth, so I should relax and stop worrying.

More later. Thanks for being here! Bubba

1 comment:

  1. Lets hope your doc visit goes well today.

    Don hit the nail on the head with that statement, "an injury makes you feel like you will never walk again."

    I remember after my knee surgery feeling like i might as well get a wheelchair and a handicap license plate, because i was never being active again.

    ReplyDelete