Friday, June 4, 2010

For Tomorrow

I'm leaving early tomorrow for the San Marcos River Vault, about 170 miles away, so I thought I would post a story I read tonight. I've been reading a book called "Season of Life" about a former ball boy (turned writer) for the Baltimore Colts football team and what he found when he tracked down a big defensive player he looked up to when he was young. He had become a Reverend and coached football as a volunteer at a private school and made every effort to improve the quality of boys' upbringing. There was one quote in it that sounds like us pole vaulters so I will substitute pole vault for football;

"I don't care if you're big or small, have huge muscles or no muscles, never pole vaulted or been the national champion - I don't care about that stuff. If you're here then you're one of us and we love you".

There is such a universal support and acceptance among vaulters. When a kid tells me sheepishly that his/her PR is 8' 3" I get excited for them because I remember exactly how I felt when I was at that level. I was on cloud nine when I jumped 10' and everyone else around was too. Never have I seen a sport where we all love each other and want to see everyone do well. Gotta love it! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment