Friday, June 18, 2010

Lifting Upper Again - Kind Of

I've been looking forward to the gym all week because I knew I could start doing some upper lifts again. I was a little worried during the night that I might wake up and my forearm would be flared and that would derail this lift and set me back. Yesterday when I was first picking up the fat/giant Altius 1675 to do drills, I felt a little tiny little sting in the forearm. It didn't bother me anymore but you never know what you will work up with. The answer was nothing. So lifting was fun, uneventful and nothing hurts. I MIGHT just be past the worst of this.

The Quintana Beach Vault is tomorrow and I would love to go but it is too big of a risk right now. I'm going to Gettysburg in three weeks and I'm not jumping there either so that should tell you how cautious I am right now. My reasoning is that if I can just get on that cruise on 7/25 with the arm not flared, it will be nine weeks of no issues so at week 10 I will be completely well and can really vault. STILL, even then I will ramp up slow and cautious. Overcautious probably but I'm sick of setbacks so I'll wait it out twice as long as needed to assure I'm OK. The goal next year is to stay within myself, work mainly on technique and conditioning, and get NO INJURIES. It will be a long year and I want to enjoy it all.

I met a girl in the gym this morning who was lifting alongside her husband. This is strange because I never talk to anyone in the gym as I listen to LOUD music to grind through at a high level. He was a big powerlifting shaped guy but she was obviously an athlete. She had perfect form on cleans, squats, snatch, etc. and saw that she had an NCAA National Track & Field Championships shirt on so I asked her between sets what she did. Today was her 27th birthday and she misses running. BTW - my 57th is in six days so we're almost the same age - except for that 30 year difference thing. When she told me she was a 400m hurdler at Oklahoma State in college I had no idea what you could miss about that type of pain but whatever. I'm getting her together with Coaches Green and Hamilton to "give her a reason to work out". Her husband doesn't run anymore so she needs an outlet other than the gym. SO, "happy birthday Allison and nice to meet you. Now get back to work!!" "Happily" she says.

Have a great day and thanks for being here for me!! You have no idea how much that helps!! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment