Tuesday, June 22, 2010

New Start

Since the River Vault and Quintana Beach Vault are over, and I wasn't jumping in Gettysburg anyway, I really feel like I am training for next year. I know that sounds stupid but it's much easier when tempting meets aren't right in front of your face anymore. Everybody gets to go have fun but you. Our Texas Senior Games will be at the end of October and that will be a good checkpoint for me. I have the state record for M55 at 13' 1/4" (3.97m) so if I can up that I will feel like I'm ready for a good year.

The hip/back thing is again better but I'll wait a little longer to hit the hard running. Both times I have had this I had jumped pretty hard at the end of a hard sled training session. All I can think is that this fatigues my lower back and causes my glute to spasm. This is by far the lightest flare I have had of this, but I had just run HARD 8 X 50m hill/sled and then tried to see how high I could hold from 2,4,6 steps on a huge pole. I'll start using the first third of the running as a warm up and do the rest harder after I vault.

Kris is here today for the pole vault clinic at the high school and he will go to dinner and stay with us tonight. I'll finalize the game plan but right now I think we're all on the same page and very excited about all of the fine tuning adjustments. I feel 100% set for the year but we will walk through the road map tonight after dinner.

Only two weeks from Friday to Gettysburg, and then after that only two weeks to Alaska, and then only one week to vault. So as torturous as the wait has been, at least the end is in sight and in increments I can train through. All I know if that I will be in tremendous shape to vault and I plan on pushing grips and poles from day one.

Gotta head out and check on the PV clinic before going to a business lunch meeting. Have a great day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment