Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summer in Texas

I read several posts from Facebook friends who competed in Austin last weekend for the NCAA Regional Meet regarding the heat. We may be a little above average but I remember last May being hotter than June or July which is unusual. It is what it is. They vaulted well anyway and with Nationals in two weeks at Track City USA, Eugene, Oregon, that should provide a great setting and better weather.

I personally like to get out early before it gets too bad. This morning I finished my 6 X 50m hill/sleds and was driving away from the school at 7:15, on my way home to my garage for my stretching. That said, today is our 2nd All Comers meet at 5 PM. That too is not that bad but without a breeze it can be a killer.

So the question for the kids that I train and their parents is, "early wake up or heat?" I work for a living so early is always best for me but kids like to sleep in. I guess we'll wait and see. Of course one of our best boys broke his arm last week sliding in playing softball. Beginning with me not jumping in any meets, it already feels like it will be a strange summer. I hate to say it but I will be glad when August gets here so I'm jumping full speed again. Until then I will keep training hard.

Have a great day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment