Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hip/Back Seems Well

After a 10 day running break I did 10 X 50m easy hill/sleds and it felt really good. Going stir crazy not being able to run, so I'm glad to get back there. A few other things have changed for the better. The last two years I had to quit starting by bar stuff with straight arms because of some calcification in my elbow. I would actually pull up a little and then complete the exercise. Now there is no inflammation there so I'm back to straight arms which is far more relevant and effective. Also for the very first time ever (in my life), I'm strong enough to do P-Bar Bubkas with completely straight arms. So I can hang in an "L" position with straight arms, and then power myself to vertical. This and the other exercise really play a big role in how I use my arms to lever the pole forward to make it roll, and bring my hips up in timing with that roll. PRETTY COOL!! If the drill does not show up in the vault then it shouldn't be a drill you do.

Right now I'm a little less than five weeks out from jumping and this Thursday will be four weeks since the injection to my forearm. I feel like I'm a football player getting ready for training camp - train hard but don't get hurt because I need to be healthy to pole vault on the first day. If I do I should have many months of great training because the level I will begin jumping at will be so low for quite awhile as I clean up all of my technical issues. I feel that Thursday I could start jumping but why risk a set back? Just keep grinding and getting better. Those one arm days were easy because I'm faster and stronger. So I'll keep doing heavy pole drills with the 1675 and wait until jump day.

USATF announced the dates for outdoor nationals in Cleveland next year - 7/28-8/1. So National Senior Games (Houston), World Masters Championships (Sacramento), and USATF Outdoor Nationals are all two weeks apart. WOW!! I personally like a two week break between meets, but that is three HUGE meets in six weeks. I'll be ready because once healthy I will be super careful to always stay within my physical; abilities and not push that until the big meets come.

Sorry I missed yesterday but somehow the day kind of got away from me. I really appreciate you all being here. Thanks so much! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment