Sunday, June 6, 2010

San Marcos River Vault

Below are a few photos from the San Marcos River Vault. Click to enlarge. The event had over 140 vaulters and had a unique feature about the youngest and oldest. Let's start with the oldest, 87 year old Adolf Hoffman who was captured by CNN in this special report - http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2010/05/25/dnt.87.year.old.athlete.kens?hpt=T2 He vaulted well with the crowd behind him every jump. As if it weren't enough to have also appeared on Jay Leno, Adolf was most surprised when a relative visiting India saw it there. Amazing guy!!

I saw my good friend Billy Payne coaching this tiny little girl running down the runway. I asked about her and came to learn that she is his youngest daughter. This was only her 3rd time with a pole in her hand and has never gone over a bar so she has no PR. Well she does now as she made 6' 3" and almost 6' 9". Billy held the collegiate record for a long time at 19' 2 3/4" (5.85m) and his oldest daughter has the highest jump in Texas this year by a high schooler at 13' 1 1/2". It was fun watching them and catching up with a ton of good people.

I woke up this morning and decided to wait a day to do my running since I need a full three days of doing nothing after my injection before any activity. Also we're going to Cleveland, Ohio on Friday to bury Nancy's mom, June's ashes next to her dad's, so this will give me a fragmented training week anyway. In this case it's better spread out.

Feeling good though but I will remain cautious. Thanks so much for your support. I'm a weirdo I guess in that I wanted to go to the meet yesterday as a way to remind me why I'm training so hard. I felt like if I saw some friends jumping that it would bring out some more fire. It actually kind of had the opposite effect as it felt sad. Probably too dramatic but not being able to jump I felt as though I was in a wheelchair. No matter how big or small the issue, the bottom line is I'm sick of going to meets to watch. Kamloops hurt but now it's just getting ridiculous.

On the bright side I spent quite a bit of time hanging out with Bruce Caldwell of Essx, who makes my poles. He has a new pole design that uses two different types of glass. He point blank told me that he would make a special set of 4.45s (14' 7"s) for me so I should get rid of the series he just made for me. He's always tinkering with designs and materials and he's only made a cooment like this twice in the 35 years I have known him so THAT excites me. More new specially made poles. I guess I better get well.

The exception to my misery sitting out was I got to watch my coach, Kris Allison jump, as well as our 8th grade boy who PRd at 10' 3" (3.10m), and our superstar in the making 8th grade girl, Kara Zuspan. I know talent when I see it and so does Caldwell. He came over three times while she was vaulting and brought over new Essx poles for her to try. If you look at her and the other girls in that group, she is not as advanced but she's just now been going a year. But Caldwell and Kris agree with me; she's got it. The other girls may be ahead now but it won't be for long. Complicated timing moves and drills she picks up instantly, plus she looks like a vaulter already - tall and lean with great muscle base for that age. She moves with grace. It will happen - we just have to be patient. Let me correct that - SHE needs to be patient!

Have a great day! Bubba



No comments:

Post a Comment