Thursday, June 17, 2010

Great Coach!!

Well I followed Kris' idea and it took me a few jumps to "get it" for what he wanted me to do. He was right in that you can't complete the swing unless you can stop your top hand and swing without a hip break. If you can stop your top hand at the top of your jump off of the ground, your body goes stiff and it transfers far more energy into the pole. It also preserves the larger angle to the ground as opposed to losing the angle if your hand gets jerked behind your head. This has always been a key to my jump but certainly a MUST with one hand.

I was able to complete one hand vaults to my back with about an 11' 6" (3.50m) grip and a normal symmetrical bend. I think I flat out missed 2-3, half way missed another 2-3 but probably nailed 6-7. Then I did my 2,4,6 on a 16/175 - 4.90m/80kg. and again got the grip up around 11' 6" except that pole wasn't even thinking about bending. If you didn't hit a HUGE prejump on that pole it wasn't even moving at all. GREAT and fun day!! No pains anywhere. And of course I did my scheduled 8 X 50m hill/sled.

A VERY fun day that made me feel reasonably like a vaulter again. The plan is one hand jumps this week, one hand with a bungee next week and then one hand with a bar the next week before I go to Gettysburg. Once I get back from G'Burg I have two weeks before the Alaska cruise where I will jump with two hands together. Great plan and instruction Kris!! Thanks!! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment