Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pre-Turkey Day

Had my normal 1 X 10 lift today that I do the last rotation before a meet.  Actually it's not normal because I did Thursday's lift on Wednesday to get an extra day of rest.  I'll do Friday's tomorrow morning.  Today I didn't do the leg lifts as I need to freshen up a bit.  Decent stretch though and tomorrow I will stretch even more.  Somewhat beat up but not run down.

I entered Kris' meet and I'm hoping my body will let me step up a half level to get to 8 steps and the 14' 1" (4.30m) poles.  I'll start on a couple of big 13' 1"s (4m) in warm up so I don't jack myself right at the start.  Four days off of my legs should make a world of difference on my ability to feel sharp as well as heal the final part of the groin ding.  That will be five weeks so that should be sufficient.  I'm really not worried about it.

This meet is called "Age is Just a Number" which means that it is "age graded" or "handicapped" by age.  The formulas are very complicated but basically they take the world and Olympic records and calculate your present performance at your present age and equate it to what you would have jumped in your prime.  For example, if I jumped 4.10m (13' 5 1/4") at 58 like I did last year in Reno, the age graded mark is 5.86m or 19' 3".  Considering that my lifetime best is 18' 1" (5.51m) I'm presently beating age.  That said, if I jumped that Saturday, a young kid would have to jump 19' 4" to beat me.  Last year I won at 12' 6" (3.81m) which was 17' 7" (5.36m).  Different but fun.  Here is a link to a good calculator - http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html

Have a great evening and thanks for being here!!  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment